I like to see my kids eating things that are good for them. They couldn’t keep their hands out of this- literally (They were secretly getting it from the dehydrator and cramming it into their little mouths when I wasn’t looking)!
Want a healthy, delicious treat for breakfast? Try our go-to granola recipe.
Cherry Almond Granola
- 5 heaping Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Rapadura (or Sucinate or Brown Rice Syrup)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons almond extract (or vanilla- whatever you have and prefer)
- 4 cups rolled oats (I soak these first- see how below*)
- 2 cups chopped or slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Wait for it…
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries
Simmer the wet ingredients in a small saucepan until mixed together as best as possible (dry sugars don’t completely incorporate like the brown rice sugar will). Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (not the cherries!). Add the wet and stir well. Dry in a dehydrator on a low setting (115 degrees) for 24 hours or until dry OR bake at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Add the cherries. Enjoy!
*Soaking Rolled Oats
Rolled oats will be much more digestible and nutritious if you soak them first. This breaks down phytic acid and makes the minerals and nutrients more accessible to your body. This is why older cookbooks suggest you soak your oats overnight.
To soak, you can cover with water. Add 1 Tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar per cup of water. Mix well and leave 8 hours or overnight.
You can just cook up oatmeal from here, or, I like to dry this back out and use it for cookies and granola and more. I rinse it and dehydrate it at 125 degrees for 24-48 hours (this varies based on the season and humidity). Dehydrate it until dry. You can also bake it at the lowest setting, stirring every hour until dry.
My desire is that through this blog, you will be inspired to:
- engage deeply with the Lord and those you care about
- embrace wholly, bringing your whole self to the table to connect with others, and
- delight lavishly, celebrating the consequential and minutia of life.
This recipe is a delight to my taste buds and a gift of healthy eating to those I love. Just a small taste of celebration and connection in my life.
Please share it! And check out these other recipes and ideas you might like:
- Energy Bites- My Favorite Healthy Cookie
- Best Shrimp Scampi Linguini
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Sprouted Wheat Pasta (Great for Philips Electric Pasta Makers and Others!)
- What’s All the Fuss About Chia Seeds?
- Quinoa- Another Super Grain
- Amaranth- Another Super Grain
8 thoughts on “Go-To Cherry Almond Granola”